POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Lightsys Reflective Spectral data : Re: Lightsys Reflective Spectral data Server Time
1 Aug 2024 22:18:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lightsys Reflective Spectral data
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 12 Mar 2005 05:35:57
Message: <4232c60d$1@news.povray.org>
Jeremy M. Praay wrote:
> Thanks.  That's along the lines of what I was thinking.  As a real-world
> example, where I work, I sit under some strange yellow flourescent lights.
> Some of the papers strewn around my desk look white, others look very yellow
> or grey.  If I pick up those same papers and take them into my boss's office
> (different type of flourescent lights), they all look white.

   That is metamerism, IIRC... and that's not possible without the
raytracer handling wavelengths internally (that is, Lightsys can't
simulate it).

> Like I said to Jaime, I would guess that the reflectance values in POV-Ray
> probably are less significant than some of the other things we guess at in
> the finish statement (or at least I guess at them), like specular, phong,
> reflection, diffuse, brilliance, etc.  I think it would be nice if POV-Ray
> had more materials predefined using more physically accurate data.  Lightsys
> is a great step in that direction.  Does anyone know where to get
> information on those finish values?

   The only pointer I got is reflection+diffuse=1. I really don't know
where it comes from, but I've seen it mentioned several times by people
which seems to know what they are talking about... and indeed seems
logical and gives good results. For the rest, we still have to use the
good and old "trial & error", I suppose.

--
Jaime